Taller, wider, greener
The new container berth will be equipped with five container cranes designed to service not only the largest ships in operation today but also those still on the drawing board.
Four new cranes will be joined by a fifth, which will be re-positioned from one of the existing berths at the terminal.
The skilled process of manufacturing the four giant cranes is now underway at Liebherr’s specialist factory at Killarney in the Republic of Ireland.
ABP announced that it had placed the order with Liebherr in November 2012 by which time the project team were putting in place plans to deliver the cranes by the end of 2013. The cranes will be delivered part-assembled with the final construction, testing and commissioning taking place at DP World Southampton in the final quarter of 2013.
Transporting the cranes from Ireland will save CO2 due to the short shipping distance compared to cranes originating in China.
- Safe Working Load of 80 tonnes
- 24-wide container outreach
- 47.5m lift above quay level
- High tensile steel portal frame with lattice-structure
- Telescopic spreaders allowing handling of 20ft, 40ft and 45ft containers
- Single, twin and tandem lift capability